Start by wearing a pedometer
How many Calories are Burned Per Minute for different activities?
- Increase the number of daily steps by 500 more a day
- 2000 to 2500 steps (depends on length of stride) = 1 mile = about 50 to 100 calories (varies by body size for how many calories you burn
- Goal is 10,000 steps per day for health
- When you take part in physical activities, you burn or use calories (energy).
- Your body weight affects the number of calories burned for any activity (the more you weigh, the more you burn).
- For some activities (e.g., drumming) you will need to estimate the calories burned from an activity that is similar.
- The table below is an estimate of calories burned per minute for specific body weights.
- Example: Jolene weighs 185 pounds
- She will use the column for 190 pounds because it is the closest to her weight.
- She and her daughter, Rosa, walk slowly so they can visit and talk while they walk. This is probably about 2 miles an hour.
- According to the chart, Jolene is burning 3.6 calories per minute.
- If they walk for 30 minutes, 3.6 times 30 minutes = 108 calories.