Human Qualities…We all have the following human qualities that make us who we are. We are Body-Mind-Emotion-Spirit
Most people have a spiritual belief system. Some examples are:
- According to their traditional tribal culture (e.g., Vision Quest, Sweat Lodge Ceremony, Green Corn Ceremony)
- According to the main society's culture of some type of organized religion (e.g., Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam)
- A combination of the above
- Very individualized beliefs (something that YOU feel is right for you)
- There are other forms of healing that include spiritual components, like natural and alternative spirituality and healing (e.g., meditation)
Traditional tribal culture and beliefs
- Some people are raised knowing the traditional beliefs of their culture. They know the language, roles, beliefs, ceremonies, foods, dress of their tribe. They closely follow these ways and teachings in their day to day lives.
- Each tribe has its own individual culture and belief systems.
Organized religion and beliefs
- Some Native people were raised in the main society and know and live the language, roles, food, dress, beliefs and religions of those cultures.
- Organized religions have their own belief systems and practices.
- Many tribal Nations in the United States include some form of organized religion.
- Some Natives combine traditional beliefs with organized religions beliefs, like Christianity, Buddhism, natural and alternative healing (e.g., Reike).
- Some Natives practice both their cultural ceremonies and other organized religions side by side.
- Some Natives have their own personal belief system that does not follow their cultural nor organized religion beliefs. It is their own individualized knowing, way and system that works only for them.
- Many times this includes doing something you just feel is the right thing for you to do.
Practicing your Spirituality
What is "prayer"?
- Prayer is an effort to communicate with the Creator, Higher Power, and God or to an object of worship.
- Prayer is one of the main ways we practice our spirituality.
- Prayers are VERY powerful. Our prayers are one of our natural healing resources each one of us can use today, any time of the day.
- The medicine of prayer is a good way to maintain good health.
- Prayers usually offer praise, thanks, make a request, or simply express one's thoughts and emotions to help us be in harmony, balance and peace.
- It can be done in many ways. Prayers can be said out loud, quietly, through song, dance, art, tears and smudge for example.
- You can also pray in any position: lying down, sitting, and kneeling, with hands folded, raised, opened, and closed, and so on.
- Many people begin each morning greeting the sun in prayer. They pray at sunset to thank the Creator, Higher Spirit, God for a good day.
- Many people pray mainly when they are in crisis or we pray more often and strongly during times of suffering.
- When a person is truly in their spiritual self, in prayer, they do not focus on their body, mind, and emotions. In a total spiritual state people do not feel pain, heat, cold, hunger, thirst.
- The prayer of one is very strong but the prayers of many are powerful! So consider a prayer circle or a prayer line for your personal healing. This may mean asking or allowing others to pray for you.
- An elder once said, “Our thoughts are our prayers” and another said “Our thoughts of today are our plans for our future”. So if we are going to have one thought, shouldn't we make it a good one?
- Meditation is a way to tame and train the mind to hold the silence between thoughts and make room for the sacred.
- You stop the restlessness of your mind by focusing your undivided attention on whatever you're experiencing right now.
- At this point you can listen to the Creator, Higher Power, God, Angels, spirit helpers etc.
- The simplest version of meditation involves focusing on your breath.
- This can be very relaxing, healing and energizing once a person spends quiet time doing this.
- Some people call meditation prayer but meditation itself need not be a religious or spiritual activity.
- Miracles happen quite often. Many times this is due to our belief systems.
- Many times miracles happen by not believing what others tell us, such as “there is no cure”. If you believe there is no cure, there definitely will be no cure! Yet, if you have been diagnosed with a very advanced stage and type of cancer but truly BELIEVE that a miracle can happen, you CAN be cured. You are planting the seed for a beautiful miracle to take place!
- Some people have had miracle cures by just prayers alone!!!
- Knowing that miracles do happen helps keep “hope” and “faith” alive.