Welcome to the Spirituality Branch of the NACES Quality of Life tree
Caren Trujillo (Yaqui Tribe) is the author of the spirituality limb
- Spirituality is an important side of all human beings. It also can be an important part of your healing process
- The purpose of this branch of the NACES Quality of Life Tree is to provide information on different areas and types of spirituality
- The more you realize how important your spiritual self is to your human qualities, the easier it will be to include spirituality in your own healing
What is the purpose of the Spirituality branch?
There are many questions about spirituality that you may be asking and thinking about differently as you go through the cancer experience. This branch provides explanations of different types and areas of spirituality. You may find some topics more comfortable than others.
What information can you find here?
- What is Spirituality?
- Spiritual beliefs
- Traditional beliefs to address healing
- Spiritual practices
- Traditional healing
The information begins with common questions asked by survivors about spirituality. Real survivors are throughout the branches, twigs and leafs to share their perceptions of spirituality throughout their cancer experience. Storytellers are also available in several sections of the branch to share examples of spirituality other Native survivors have experienced
What is spirituality?
Spirituality is the process of being spiritual. This is how a person talks, listens and works together with the Creator or Higher Power or God.
It also is:
- Meaning of life
- Individual beliefs
- To honor what is sacred
Do all people have a spiritual side?
- Yes, all human beings are spiritual. It is one of the major parts of who we are: body, mind, emotion and spirit (the Medicine Wheel)
Is spirituality and organized religion the same?
- No, religion is a certain way that some people practice their spirituality. There are many types of religions but our spiritual self is a part of who we are. We are spiritual beings if we choose a religion or not.
What is organized religion?
- Organized religion is a group of people who have a specific way to practice their faith, beliefs and teachings. Many times this follows specific writings. (i.e., Bible, Torah, Koran)
Is spirituality praying or meditating?
- Yes, it is both and it is more than that. It also is when you listen to your inner self, your natural knowing, your spirit guides or guardian angels.
- It also means relating to sacred things. When you show qualities like love, joy, peace, patience, compassion, wisdom, and intelligence, you also are showing your spirituality.
Can spirituality help in my healing process?
- Yes, it is a very powerful way to help in the healing process. People tell stories about been healed from serious physical problems by just prayer alone!