Ways to use your own natural gifts to assist in your healing process.
Some ideas to consider in your own self healing:
- Take responsibility for your own wellness.
- First we need to take responsibility of finding out how we can get well by using all the internal and external resources available to us.
- Believe in the power within to assist in your own healing process.
- You have to believe and have faith that each of us has power within ourselves to assist in our healing process.
- Without this belief we struggle to heal ourselves.
Change "fix me" attitude to self care.
- Don't give power away.
- Many times in this society we have given our personal healing power away.
- We have developed a "you fix me" policy. "You fix me" Dr, "you fix me" counselor, "you fix me" pills…
- With this attitude we have given our power away.
- What happens when they don't fix us? We blame them. We are not taking responsibility for our own wellness.
- We need to take our power back and work along side of our chosen remedy, whether it is natural or western medicine or a combination of both.
- Walt Hollow's SPIRITual Model has an example…
Change how we talk about our illnesses
- Many times we talk about our illness as "my cancer", "my diabetes", "my _"…
- When we talk about it this way, it IS ours, we keep it. Our sensitive mind believes it and makes it that way.
- When we say: "this is an illness I am dealing with", it does not personalize it. It separates the illness from who you really are. It puts us in the right frame of mind for healing.
Click on John's picture to read his story.
Empower self –use the natural "tools" you have:
- Prayers - talk to your higher power
- Ask others to pray for you… consider prayer circles or other group prayer
- Quiet your mind. Try to remove or empty your mind of all thoughts.
- Think about having a ceremony for your healing
- "See" self being well, whole and healed
- "See" bones healing, medicine, operations, therapy working
Develop a positive support system
- Who are positive people in your life to make up your support system?
- It is essential that we all have these types of people in our life. We all need:
- Someone who will "be there", listen, not give advice.
- Someone who respects your competence.
- Someone who knows you and challenges you to grow (your mentor)
- Someone who loves and cares about you even if you goof up.
- Someone who can challenge your negative emotional reactions
- Someone who views the world the same way you do.
- If you do not have a person that fits each category you need to find one. They are very important in your life!! They are keepers!!!
- Journaling or writing your journey can be very helpful. It is helping us to identify all that we are going through, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
- It expresses our feelings and situations in a healthy way. It can show us many things about who we are.
- It is a very healthy way to express ourselves.
- Either listening to special songs, music or singing special songs can be very healing.
- Our songs have and can be our prayers for ourselves.
- Dancing can be a very healing experience.
- Dances, especially traditional dances, are and can be prayers for ourselves.
Art & Crafts/Hobbies
- Many people use their arts/crafts/hobbies to assist in their healing process
Click on Joanne's picture to read her story about Arts and Crafts.
Affirmations-words of wisdom
- Affirmations are powerful positive statement that we tell ourselves to create a desired result.
- Many people have used short meaningful statements to help encourage them on their healing path or struggles.
- Some use quotes out of the bible or other holy scriptures. Some use healing "words of wisdom" they have found.
- If you repeated these affirmations to yourself over and over, they start to become part of your belief system and can definitely help in your healing.
- A suggestion is to write them on a brightly coloured paper and attach it in different places where you can see it everyday. Put it eye level. This will be a helpful reminder you to tell yourself these affirmations daily. The more times a day, the better.
Click on Dawn's picture to read her story about Affirmations.